Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Lie

“For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever.”  (Romans 1:25)

What would you trade for your relationship with Jesus?  Nothing I hope.  However, we tend to make bad trades everyday in relation to our walk with Jesus Christ.  People on a daily basis choose ‘the lie’ over God’s truth by succumbing to temptation.  We determine that God wants us to be happy and then determine what will make us happy.  Often what we choose to make us happy does not line up with God’s will.  What is this called?  Idolatry. 

Idolatry is the sin of the mind against God.  You may not think at the time of any decision, “I think I will go against what God wants,”  but when you act against His will knowing what His will is you have committed idolatry. 

The word ‘rather’ in this verse literally means to by pass.  In other words, those who committed idolatry never even considered what God wanted.  Instead, their consideration was according to their own desire.  They believed ‘the lie.’ (I bet you are wondering why I keep quoting ‘the lie.’).  Let me explain.  The word for lie in the Greek is preceded by a definite article which is translated ‘the.’  So instead of this being just any old lie it is the lie. 

In the Garden of Eden, Satan told Eve, ‘You won’t die!  When you eat this fruit you will be like God.’  Satan informed Eve there was something missing in her life.  There was more to be had.  Satan would have made a good advertising exec, in fact I think he is.  The goal of advertisers is to convince you there is something that will make you happy, and it is what they are selling.  We believe every day that if I had this or that I will discover what I have been looking for.  It’s ‘the lie.’

What every person is looking for is discovered in what we keep passing by, a real and personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  Are you believing the lie?  You and I cannot walk in light and darkness at the same time (1 John 1:6).  You and I cannot love the world and the Father at the same time (1 John 2:15-16).  You must make your choice, who will you believe?